Sunday, December 7, 2008

Thankschristgivingmas

[rant on]Am I the only one who feels that every year Thanksgiving is becoming more a part of Christmas and less it's own holiday. I suppose we wouldn't want to stop and be thankful for what we have when we have less than a month to complete our want list. Seriously! I'm not opposed to Christmas music before Thanksgiving, or even decorating for Christmas before Thanksgiving, but the stores go straight from Halloween to Christmas, with only a Black Friday to remind them that there was another holiday somewhere in between. It's not that I don't shop for Christmas before Thanksgiving, because truthfully I try to have most of my shopping done before Halloween. But no one seems to take the time for gratitude anymore. It feels like the kids are learning to go from the "trick-or-treat, give me candy" holiday to the "I want, give me" holiday with no thanks in the middle. What's a mom to do? [rant off]

We did have a good Thanksgiving this year. I spent the morning making rolls, and then we headed over to Tyson's mom's house for dinner. Everything was delicious! Afterward, we went to my sister Lisa's house for pie and to see my family. It was a great day; even the bulimic toddler couldn't ruin it for us!

The next day was decorating day. My mom and I both got our wishes that day. She wished to have kids to help her decorate, and I wished that my kids were gone while I decorated. Poof! Granted! McKayla bossed Tanner around all day at Grandma's house, and Tanner did a fabulous job hanging ornaments on Grandma's tree.



I did save our tree for the kids to decorate, and we had a great time.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Would the bulimic toddler be my son? The one that puked all over the kitchen as everyone was leaving? At least we were at my house.

I'll have to come over to check out the Christmas decorations!

marlene said...

The whole "Thanksgiving gets lost in the middle" thing is so, so true. Therefore, I stopped fighting it and have tried to combine the message of both holidays. I try not to let the kids dwell on the wants (their list have to be SHORT) and we try to do as many service things as possible. Along the way we explain that we are doing these things to show our gratitude for what we have. I hope it will make a difference to them :) Isn't being a parent the stinkin' hardest thing ever?