Thursday, July 3, 2008

Boys, boys, boys....(it's hard to be the only girl!)

Remember me noting how my children were so happy and willing to do chores? Ignore that. It lasted about a week. Or maybe it was McKayla setting a good example for Tanner, and with her gone, he has no example. Whatever the reasoning, Tanner's done. Both kids get a small allowance each week when their chores are done. They also can't play with friends until they're done.
So the other day, Tanner informed me he was done doing chores. His reason: "I don't want you and Dad to run out of money for food, so I'm not going to do my chores anymore so you don't have to pay me every week." What a thoughtful kid! After I explained that I could pay for both, he came up with reason #2: "My friends are being bad examples and I don't want to start acting like them, so I'm not going to do my chores so I can't play with them." That one didn't work either. Can you say "lawyer in the making"? He can work any angle.

With McKayla gone, I've been looking for any projects to do to keep my mind occupied. I've resorted to reading entire novels in a day (The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio was a really cute and inspiring book), and most recently, making blankets. Now, I'm not a sewer (who knew that sewer, as in one who sews, is the same spelling as sewer, as in the stinky stuff? Is sewer [the first one] even really a word? It is according to dictionary.com). Anyway, I don't sew much or know how to much. Yeah, there's the occasional receiving blanket or tied quilt, but I make it up as I go. And years ago, I found the cutest pattern for capris for McKayla made out of two bandannas, so I just had to try. But a few weeks ago I found the cutest "choo choo" flannel for Tayler, and once he saw it, I had no other choice. So I spent yesterday making a blanket for him and one for a gift.
Don't look too close at the finished product - you'll be sorely disappointed, but Tayler doesn't care. He thinks he's in choo choo heaven, which of course he is.

4 comments:

Donna said...

Way to go on the blanket! I'm not a sewer (or a sewer for that matter)either so I'm way impressed! I hope the time flies for ya until McKayla gets back. Good luck on the chores!

marlene said...

The bandanna capris - I made those too! Kelsie had like four pair. I think they were in a Martha Stewart magazine. Come to think of it, those capris were the only sewing project I have really ever participated in. So I guess that I am not a sewer either :)

Amber said...

Hi jodee, you inspired me to start my own blog. I doubt anyone will be interested, but oh well. It's Amber if you haven't guessed!! I'm trying to be anonymous, but I'm not that good at it!! I like the sewing and the smart little boy comments!!

Lisa said...

Tanner is so funny! I feel like half of the comments I leave say that. But seriously, did you tell him that he can't play with those bad example friends AND he still has to do chores??? Ha ha!! And I love the blanket. I know a little gift recipient that is going to love it too!!