I may have had the energy to do some research and find out if he and Tayler weren't constantly stretching me to the end of my mothering abilities. Most recently, we have two incidents. First, he's punching girls. Not really girls, but girl. I'm trying to feel worse about it than I do, but I don't. The girl is a neighbor girl who is about his age. If he was just unprovoked attacking her and punching, I'd feel bad. And it's not that I'm not punishing him for it. I just don't want to. Every time she is around, she tries to kiss Tanner. He doesn't like it (or her for that matter) so he tries to get away. The first time he didn't get away, I got a knock at my door and there she stood, crying. "Tanner punched me in the nose!" "She was trying to kiss me!" yells Tanner from our front yard. I really can't blame him. She's a little annoying to put it gently, and it's hard to be upset when he's just defending his virtue, for heaven's sake. So I sat them both down and explained that touching of any kind, whether a kiss or a punch, is not OK unless it is priorly approved by the recipient.
This same incident replayed itself on nearly a daily basis for a couple of weeks, and Tanner has had some pretty severe punishments that I don't think he really deserves. I realize hitting is inappropriate, and especially him hitting a girl. But he has never once instigated it. He has never once gone to her house and hit her. She shows up in our yard, tries to kiss him, and gets punched in the nose/stomach/arm/leg/etc. I refuse to tell Tanner that a kiss is OK if he doesn't want it. So he spent one week of having to come inside if she showed up in our front yard. Then after that week, he was given rules. No hitting, first and foremost. No teasing, second. And finally, run to a mom if she's trying to kiss him. It seems to be working. Still, I really just want to let him beat on her if she's going to keep acting the way she does. Does that make me a bad mom? Hopefully the visits from her parents are done.
Next is the problem of his wardrobe. I promise I do laundry. I also promise Tanner has more than one shirt. You wouldn't know it, though. Tayler gave Tanner an Indiana Jones t-shirt for his birthday.
He put it on that night, slept in it, wore it the next day, slept in it, wore it the next day, and slept in it once again. By the 4th day, his Grandpa got a little concerned and decided to help solve the problem with a couple new Indiana Jones shirts.
3 comments:
That girl totally deserves to get punched!!!! Girls like that are the ones who make problems for all the girls through the dating years. Poor Tanner. And I haven't noticed any odor coming from Tanner's shirts......yet.
Ban that little girl from coming over to your house until she stops kissing. As soon as she even tries to kiss Tanner, send her home!!! Tanner needs his house to be a safe haven, he shouldn't have to deal with stupid stuff like that. Sorry, I really feel for Tanner and that little girl needs to learn how to act properly!! I really like reading your blog. You are great!!
Amber
I just mentioned this incident to my husband and he says that that is the way the world works. If someone tried to kiss you, what would you do as an adult? So why shouldn't kids have the same power, if there's nothing else Tanner can do - he's tried to get away, she came to his house, then it is justified for him to punch her and after a few times, she'll figure out that if she kisses him, she'll get punched. Then the problem will go away. My husband is much more logical than I am, and I think he has a point!! Good luck!!
Post a Comment