That's what a friend of mine said when I mentioned I had just returned from Girls' Camp. I have to admit that I might have agreed beforehand. I've never been one for bonding with the teenagers. So the whole idea of girls' camp with all 12-18 year olds was a little intimidating to say the least. The planning and prep work was crazy and busy, but not intimidating. Teenage girls are intimidating.
We went to the Heber Valley Camp last week, and it was amazing. I have never seen a more beautiful place. It was amazing. They told us that a committee to find a new site for a camp found the area and took President Hinckley to see the 80 acres they were proposing. He apparently loved it as much as I did, maybe even more, and told them to buy the whole mountain - 8060 acres. When it was dedicated, it was called a "refuge from the world" for the girls, and it was. I can't even describe how incredible the camp was.
Oh, and the girls were incredible too. Seriously. I fell in love with every one of them. I'm actually sad to be done working with them. Here's the group (notice the adorable sweatshirts. I designed them with the camp logo..)

The camp has cabins, and we were lucky enough to fit all of us in one. I was even luckier that there was a dividing wall between my bunk and the girls. Not that I needed it, because they all went to bed when told, and the last night they were yelling to us leaders to be quiet and go to bed! Here's the cabin, my bunk, and the girls hanging out in the cabin.



My favorite part was the challenge course. I was a facilitator for one activity, so I didn't get to be with the girls much, but I did get to do the high course which consisted of climbing a 35-40 ft. tree, anchoring yourself to a wire on the other side of the tree, and then walking 15 yards across a wire, with one above to hold on to. You then repelled down a tree at the other end. It was amazing and I wish I had pictures. We took one of each girl, but when I did it, there was no one watching, so I'm without proof. I promise I did it. So did all 12 of my girls! When I told Tanner about it, thinking he would be impressed, he only said, "Too bad you can't ride a unicycle on it like in the circus." So much for impressing a 5-year-old! We also hiked to a lake and canoed for an hour or so. That was a lot of fun.
I still can't believe the bond that I felt and still feel with the girls. I love every one of them! I think part of the reason we got so close was that I didn't have any assistant directors and that I was the only adult that stayed Monday through Friday. It was amazing how obedient and willing to help they all were. I was totally surprised by the lack of problems, especially girl fights. I expected a lot of back-biting, hurt feelings, and cattiness. There was none.
Last night we had a camp awards night, and they gave me the cutest blanket embroidered with the logo and my name, and a scrapbook with a note from each girl and leader and pictures.


I did miss my family like crazy! I ached for my kids. I couldn't get home fast enough on Friday! Tanner seemed to have had the hardest time, and he was my shadow for a couple of days. After I showered and got all the smoke smell out, I asked him if I smelled better. He responded, "You smell better than you ever have," and proceeded to hug me for 10 minutes. He is such a momma's boy. Tayler was excited to see me, but when I first picked him up, he asked, "Where Daddy go?" I guess 3 seconds of excitement should be enough! McKayla just seemed relieved to have me home. It's tough to be the only girl!
I wish I had more pictures, but after trying to be in charge, keep track of 12 teenage girls, and follow the schedule for one day, I gave up on the camera. I've asked all the other leaders and girls for discs with their pictures, so if I get any I'll add some. Now I just need to go take another nap to recover. Five days later, I'm still exhausted and have blood-shot eyes. I'm hoping by a week out I'll feel back to normal - except I won't be afraid of teenage girls anymore until I have my own!
3 comments:
awesome. I loved working in YW's and girls camp was always my favorite. that place sounds amazing, can we just go camping there?
what cute girls you have! and what funny reactions from your kids! :)
glad you survived...
I'm glad you had fun! I'm kinda jealous, it looks like fun!! Hope you're doing good. Love ya!
WHat lucky girls to have you at the helm! We go to Heber Valley next year for Stake Girls Camp which I am over and now I won't be so scared. I like oyur logos and that album they made you is super cute.
Post a Comment