Tuesday, June 3, 2008

McKayla's World....

I decided that because I've done little in the way of the "momblog" for the past several weeks, I'd do an individual update on each child and their activities. As usual, I'll begin with the oldest.


McKayla has been insanely busy the past couple of months. The spectrum program gives the students so many different opportunities for learning and fun! This past month they had their olympics at the local high school track. McKayla did great. She ran the 100 m and got 4th out of all 3rd through 6th grade girls. She ran the 400 m coed relay and also got 4th. I was super proud, and it made me realize that it's fun to go as a spectator. I always thought of it as a huge sacrifice for my parents to attend my events, which I know it was, but I never realized it was actually fun for them too!

The spectrum program also gives them the opportunity to play chimes and learn music. I can't believe how much better McKayla is at piano and music theory just from the chimes. They had their year end concert a few weeks ago, and McKayla did great.

She also got to sing with a small group of students during the concert and she was amazing!

And for a final school related note, McKayla received the academic award from the spectrum program for 3rd grade. It's a tough award to receive! You have to enter the science fair, maintain a 3.75 grade average, test in the 90th percentile on standardized year-end tests, and do a 10 hour research project in addition to all of the usual work. She worked hard and we're very proud (as well as tired, because as all parents know, these projects are as much ours as theirs).

Soccer season just ended a couple of weeks ago, and Kayla played like a champ. Unfortunately, the team didn't. They lost all their games, but I think she had fun anyway. And as a result of my frustration with a coach that didn't teach the girls a thing, I'm registered to coach next year.


Last, but definitely not least in McKayla's mind, is her riding lessons. McKayla's getting better all the time. She rides Willy most of the time now and is really loving it! I think she is less afraid than her mother as she rides.

Yesterday, the horse tripped and almost went down with her on it, and she didn't even flinch. I, on the other hand, needed a dose of valium to calm me down!

Tanner, Tayler, and Tyson (yes, he does occasionally count as one of the children) to come!

3 comments:

Kim Felt said...

Wow! She sounds busier than I am and I can't keep up. No wonder we can't get them together to play. :) We want to come see her ride sometime too.

Lisa said...

Wow McKayla! Congratulations on the academic achievement award. Hopefully summer will be a nice break! We love you!

Summer said...

ok, so I'm WAY behind on blogging, but way to go Kayla! I had no idea she was doing ALL of that. what a champ. no wonder she needs homework in the summertime to keep her busy!