Monday, January 28, 2008

When Did It Happen?

It seems that nearly every day I ask myself that question about something. I can't really pinpoint the moment that these things happened, but they happened with or without my consent. For example:

  • When did the days of my life become defined by the bodily function/fluid I had to clean up/ deal with/smell? It happens so gradually, one never really knows. With one child, it was bearable. Two was a change, especially with a diaper remover as child number two, but still, I can't say it was then either. Now, with three, it seems that every day is a series of bodily fluids. For example, there were the days when first, Tayler pooped in the bath, was moved to the other bathtub, and proceeded to vomit. The next day he took his diaper off and peed down the stairs. That was followed by Tanner's little "accident" in the bathroom, then a series of days filled with sick, vomiting, diarrhea kids. And who can forget the dinner out with friends when McKayla vomited all over the table? To others, those days have dates, or at least a Monday, Tuesday, etc. attached to them. To me, they're just defined by the mess.
  • When did I become the barbecuer in the family? So Tyson is late getting home one night when we plan to grill, and I do it. Then he spends the night telling me I'm much better than him at it. So the next time we are going to grill, he reminds me of how much better I did than him. So I help him. Gradually, I'm the griller. I think Tyson has a master plan. He has managed to get it to the point that I don't even ask him to do it anymore, because of course I'm better at it.
  • When did I become the meanest mom in the world? I can't recall the exact first time the title was pronounced, but it's used on a regular basis now!
  • When did I get labeled as "relaxed?" OK, so some of you are laughing. I know I'm not, but apparently I appear to be to some. My sister had a guy she was friends with that asked her how she could have one sister who was so laid back when she and Lisa were so uptight and stressed out. After we all laughed hysterically about it, my BIL Tim summed it up: She's not laid back, she's beaten down. Thanks, Tim, for defining it so succinctly. I couldn't have defined it myself, but he's right. So maybe the real question is "When did I get so beaten down?" Those darn kids again :)
So is it just me, or do you ask yourself the same questions, but different of course. I have a million more, and at least one new one every day. Do we all wonder when it happened?

No comments: