Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Do More Things, Have Less Things

That's my new plan. I want to take the kids to do more, have more experiences. And I want them to have less. I'm tired of watching too many kids, mine included, who have little appreciation for things. They feel like they are entitled to the things, regardless of their behavior. So, I've been trying to spend money on activities and experiences, while cutting back on the things.

As a result, we've been crazy busy having fun around here! We went to the Jazz vs. the Wizards last week and had a great time. I debated leaving Tayler home, but I'm so glad we took him. The kids all loved every minute of the game and the experience as a whole. Their reactions to my question, "What was your favorite part?" perfectly exemplified each child:
  • Tayler - "Get treats!"
  • Tanner - "When Bear was walking on the railing and fell and landed on his private parts!"
  • McKayla (with a shy little smile)- "Kyle Korver." (I'm with you, sweetie!)
Last weekend, we then tried to do something fun everyday, which became exhausting for me, but fun for them I think. Friday we bought and assembled a new trampoline. The old one was close to failing I'm sure, and the net had been ruined last year. When pricing a new net and pads, it was cheaper to sell the old trampoline and get a new one then to buy just the new parts we needed. So, we got a new one, and Tayler and I got to go see Tyson's new office in the process and have lunch with him.

Saturday we went on the bike ride to a park a couple of miles from our house and had a picnic. (Prior to that, I had my fun buying the Twilight dvd:)) Then we let the kids pick where they wanted dinner. McDonalds. New strategy next time.

Sunday we had a family slumber party with movies, treats, and sleeping on the floor/couch. The floor would be the children, and the couch would be Tyson and me. It really wasn't as bad as I expected.

Monday the kids were out of school, so we were lazy all morning and then Tyson took the older two to see Race to Witch Mountain, which they all loved. Afterwards we went to a neighboring city's rec center for swimming. Aside from the poop in the pool (turned out to be a stupid prank by teenage boys. It was a Mounds bar. Yuck! [the poop, not Mounds in general :)]), it was a fun night.

Aside from the complete exhaustion, it was really fun to stay busy together.

4 comments:

Kim Felt said...

It is so much easier to just buy them something. :) Sounds like a lot of fun, and exausting too. I'm with you, I think kids have TOO much these days. (Mine too) They have too many toys that entertain them that they have no imagination. Good for you. I'm impressed.

Lisa said...

I love this Jodee! I think kids learn so much more from experiences than from things (of course I'm not always a great example of this.) I have a lot of memories of what we did growing up but hardly have any memories of the things I had.

marlene said...

I agree, things seems to create unappreciative children and clutter. I really don't prefer either. Watching you guys last week seriously reminded me of my childhood. My mom was the best at keeping us busy with fun family activities. I am sure I didn't appreciate it as much then, but I am so grateful now that they always made time for us. We were their priority and we knew it. Your kids will feel the same :)

You could be your own church commercial:

"Isn't it about time?"

[a message from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints]

Amber said...

That's awesome!! What are you going to do for Easter? I need ideas-- for next year, since it's too late this year!! I hate the candy too.