I was watching my sister Lisa's two kids, Barrett (2 1/2) and Charlotte (4 months). Charlotte was sleeping like an angel in my locked bedroom (have I mentioned before how much I love girls?), and the boys (Tayler and Barrett) were first playing upstairs, so I sat down at the upstairs computer to pay the bills while they played. Before I was done, they took their haul of toys down to the family room. Thomas the Train was on TV, so I felt OK about the 5 minutes it would take to finish. Not a good choice, in retrospect. At this point I might need to mention the fact that Tayler and Barrett together are trouble. Not just double the work of one, but more like 10 times the work. They feed off of each other's naughtiness. They have been banned from Grandma and Grandpa's monkey room multiple times for such behavior. They're just a bad pair, but oh so cute together.


So, minutes later (really it was 2 or 3, I swear) Tayler is screaming like he's dying. "Fwowy, Fwowy!" I jump up and run down the stairs. The boys had emptied Lisa's diaper bag on the family room floor, and Tayler is still screaming. I
This is what I have recreated: Tayler begins emptying the diaper bag, one of his favorite pastimes when Lisa is around. Barrett watches with a big smile, maybe even encouraging him. The epi-pen comes out and Tayler uses his mad "I can open anything" skills to open the said medication. Barrett now sees an opportunity for fun. (Remember, at this point on an epi-pen, the needle isn't visible.) He picks it up and uses his new-found tool (those of you who know Barrett know without question he was calling it a tool) and uses it on Tayler's back. The needle is exposed, and Tayler gets the best "fight-or-flight" response of his life. Then I come in.
I talked to medical professionals (meaning my mom and any doctor she could get a hold of) who first assured me there was no real risk of harm to Tayler, and then laughed hysterically at the fact that two 2-year-old boys were shooting each other up with epinephrine. All the while, I'm recognizing my severe incompetence as a mother. Mother of the Year? Babysitter of the Year? You can go ahead and vote now.....And hey, I'm free to watch your kids anytime.
6 comments:
I forgot to tell you earlier that not only did they have to take the epi-pen out of the container it comes in, they also had to remove a cap at the end opposite the needle in order for the pen to be activated. These two are such stinkers!!
Lisa,
I once again credit Tayler for all of the opening and removing. Sorry!!
WOW! I'm pretty much speechless! Corbett has a cousin like that, with whom he becomes exponentially naughty with! That sounds really scary though, I would have freaked out! Now Jodee, I would have thought you would have waited until he was 5 at least to introduce the drugs and the needles! I'm glad he's okay.
holy cow, Jodee. I heard that story yesterday from Lisa, and after I got over the initial shock (i wasn't sure either what the epi would do) it was quite funny. but then, hearing you tell the story, I almost wet my pants. hey, you are mother of the year in my book. the rest of us just don't blog about our amazing blunders for everyone else to read :)
That is hilarious. I am sure it wasn't funny to you but when I came home from school and you told me I could not believe it.
oh man!!! I have got to tell you that this is really making me a little nervous to be giving birth to a BOY in less than 2 months. I am just glad that Tayler is alright. After reading the story I couldn't help but laugh though. I could totally see it being played out in my head. 8)
Post a Comment