Wednesday, October 17, 2007

If at First You Don't Succeed......

.....try, try again. It seems to be the motto of my boys. Impressive you say? Consider that what they are trying to succeed at is driving their mother insane. Those of you who know me well know what a nightmare Tanner was from about 8 months until about 4 years or so. You also know that when I found out I was having another boy, I cried for at least 2 weeks (actually the next 5 months of pregnancy, really). So you should find it to be no surprise that any hint that Tayler may be becoming another "Tanner" would send me to the looney bin. I'm about there! I'll give you some examples of the unfortunate similarities:

1 - Diaper Removal: Tanner was infamous for taking off diapers when he had filled them, particularly in his crib. So we resorted to duct taping them on (for real). For the past few weeks, Tayler has begun to do the same. We got lucky for a long while, with all of the diapers being just wet. Unfortunately, last Friday, our luck ran out. Every time I walked into Tayler's room, it really smelled. I took out all of the diapers in there sitting around, but no luck. I opened the window. No luck. Then I remembered finding him with no diaper that morning. No, he couldn't have....but he had. I looked at his crib in panic, and found a small smear on one of the slats. In fear, I pulled the crib out, and there it was, down the wall, the base boards, and best of all, in a pile on my carpet! I'm buying stock in duct tape.

2 - Artistic abilities: Some of you may know of Tanner's innate artistic talents. He could decorate anything most permanently with a marker, including walls, doors, furniture, himself, and yes, even his friends. It all began with the front of one bathroom door. So yesterday, I found Tayler with an orange (non-washable might I add) marker, coloring the same said door. I'm a master at removing permanent marker however, and will just have to invest in another case of Off Skintastic Mosquito Repellant....

3 - The Escape Artist: Tanner began opening doors, dead bolts, toy packaging (yes, even the mom-proof kind) and everything else at about 18 months. He would run out the front door before I even knew he had moved. So, now that Tayler's 18 months, he, of course can do the same. We have, again, invested in a full stock of annoying baby-proof door handles.

Tayler had so much promise. He was so sweet and gentle and, well, easy. I guess it's my fault really. I let Tyson convince me it couldn't ever be the same. Sounds something like the reason we had Tanner 9 months and 5 days after our wedding....fool me once, shame on you.....Tayler's just finishing the job that Tanner so nearly fulfilled.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jodee, At least you know that the boys didn't get this behavior from you... They have been cursed with the True Egbert Blood!!! Tyson, a few examples... not only did he like drawing on walls he ruined moms brown valor formal couches with ink (every cushion)he also managed to deface the same room by pounding a whole box of nails in one wall with his mighty plastic red hammer!! Kaden also managed to get this distrution trait.. at 2 he managed to pour a complete gallon of liquid hand soap over the carpet in a small 1/2 bath.... and once when told he couldn't go play outside in the dirt he was brilliant in bringing in about 5 large tonka truck loads onto the living room carpet in front of the TV so not to go against what he was told...lol! All Egbert boys seems to have the same "bad behavior". You should have Tyson tell you stories of our dad and uncles when they were young, as I said it's a curse for us Egbert Mom's! Hang in there!!!!
Ashlee

Jodee said...

Thanks, Ashlee, for commiserating with me - It does eliminate any hope, though, that this is just a stage :)

Jodee

Summer said...

Jodee! I just want to cry for you! I was going to write something hopeful like, "maybe it's just a stage..." ha ha, maybe not after reading what ashlee wrote. Oh boy. So I had one of those very frustrated with my kids days yesterday, Adam wasn't sleeping well, Kami was ornery, and they both just wanted to be held. And we were having company for dinner, so I was trying to clean the house and get dinner ready, not happenin. Then I read what you go through, and I felt VERY sheepish and so cry babyish. I can handle a little whineyness, and lack of sleep, but the poo mess....I think I would die. I'm so sorry! I HOPE for your sake, it's a shorter stage than Tanner. If not, we're happy to be a drop off place for you, no questions asked... :)

marlene said...

Kenna seems to better at your house, maybe Tayler would do better at mine. We should just trade for a few years :)