I've noticed a trend. Everytime I witness something disturbing, it's in a fast food restaurant. I think I need a new venue. Today at McDonald's, I saw parenting at its best. One smaller kid headed up the playland, and was pushed and generally bullied by two bigger kids. The small kid came out crying and told his mom. Good, I thought, a kid who knows to go to a grown-up. And his mom went to the parents of the bullies and let them know what was going on. I was happy to see some reasonable behavior. Seconds later, I see that the mom of the bullied kid has taken her little guy aside, and I hear her telling him, "Next time anyone goes at you like that, you better make them cry like a baby. You fight back and beat the crap out of them." The kid was probably four. Great lesson, huh? What about the "good job on coming to a grown up" lesson, or the "thanks for not being violent to solve your problems" lesson? I seriously hope my children are never friends with her children. Am I wrong to find this disturbing?
4 comments:
Wow. I think that same kid/parent team were terrorizing the McD's on 33rd South down here in SLC about a month ago. We went up to meet some friends there (to let our kids play), and one of their kids came out crying with a bloody nose! We asked what happened, and this other kid and his friend started bullying and throwing punches at our friends' kid for no reason.
Amanda wasn't about to have any of it. She made our friends' boy point out the kid who punched him, grabbed that kid by the arm, said "where are your parents," and walked him over to the lady who was responsible for him (just a "guardian") and explained the situation. The lady was so cavalier about it, she didn't apologize or insist that her kid apologize or nothin'! If Wendy's had a playland, that'd be our choice. For one, they have a better dollar menu. :)
Um, I think I'll be keeping my kids away from McDonalds.
Seriously, everyone should have to take a parenting class before having children! This, coming from the one who left her baby in the elevator. See, I could have used a class or two. :)
Love it when that happens. I'm pretty sure I've met that family. :) I have just spent the last 20 minutes reading your blog and I have tears running down my face from the theater story...in March (?) I think. HILARIOUS!!! I have been thoroughly entertained! Thank you.
Post a Comment