Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Play Ball!

Warning: Very long, self-indulgent post to follow! I promise to get back to the kids soon!


I can't exactly explain it. I love to play softball. If I was amazing at it, or if it had been my favorite sport growing up, I'd say that made sense, but really, as far as the sports I played went, I'd say it was 4th place of 4 sports. In high school I played soccer, basketball, and ran track in addition to softball. The other teams were all state tournament contenders, while softball was a 1-12 type of season each year. That may have had something to do with the preference rankings. Not even being the co-captain of the team made it extremely bearable.




But after you graduate, finding opportunities to play team sports is tough as a girl. I continue to run, but it used to be sprints, and now I'm forced to run distance. Basketball was good through college while I could play intermurals, but then all that is left is church basketball (and if I'm one of the better players, you know it's not too competitive!). I found a couple of soccer teams early on to play on, but really I haven't played in 12 years (unless you again count church futsol, which I don't). So softball is what I have left. I started playing on teams right out of high school when I was still pretty good. I used to be able to field and throw with the guys. Fifteen years later, those days are long gone, but I live for it more than ever before.


When I started slow-pitch, I played on a team that was comprised of my mom's co-workers. Then I found a team that became "my team" through a friend at the U. I still miss some of the players from that team. I played with them from the time I was 19 until I was about 26, two seasons a year. In the meantime, my friend Aaron (or should I say "Dr. Anderson"?) got a group together to play locally about 8 years ago. I was still a fairly good player back then. I've gone downhill from there though, but my team humors me. I don't think they even remember me as a good player ever.


My theory as to why I love it more than I used to has to do with being a mom. Every other aspect of my life is dominated by that role, but when I go to softball, I'm not a mom. I'm just Jodee, the has-been-too-old-but-still-playing softball player. It's kind of nice. I can't even explain it....somehow I'm not a mom at softball. Maybe it's because it's something that came before kids. Maybe it would be the same with any sport I was able to keep playing competitively. All I know is that if Rafe stops putting a team together, I'm sunk (hint, hint Rafe).


And speaking of Rafe, he's wondering why he doesn't get enough mention in my blog, so here you go.


He completely disappears during the off-season, then wonders why I don't blog about him in every post. Seriously, some people! To any single, 20-to-30-year old girls, he's looking and he's awesome! Really, I'm not just saying that because he's my link to my softball escape. He's a seriously great guy, although I'll deny it if you tell him. So anyway, if you're looking for a very nice guy (not just in the sweet-spirit nice, but really a good guy) let me know and I'll hook it up! At his age, I don't think he's too picky! (You know I can't be too nice, Rafe :))

5 comments:

Donna said...

what are you talking about, Davis High Softball was the BEST! All right, so I only played the first year and then left so the team was at a disadvantage...ha ha. Well, if you would have been on another team you would have still been the star! You rule at softball! As for me, I keep trying to retire but people always need extra players and convince me I like it, I think this year I've finally done it though!

Amanda said...

ROCK ON JODEE!! Umm, i can't play sports to save my life... but reading how much you love it... actually makes me want to join a team and give it a wirl!! (don't hold your breath... but maybe someday! :)

loved seeing the pic of you from high school! so cool!

Kim Felt said...

Just looking at pictures of you playing made me tired. I'm glad there are people like you to get out there and play sports, otherwise what would people like me watch? :) haha. You look awsome out there, I'd love to come see a game.

Summer said...

that was a great post! it's great to hear about YOU once in awhile (I know, I'm guilty of the momblog myself)
You make me want to play sports a lot--basketball, softball, anything! (dang heart condition!)
oh, and I know someone who'd like to date Rafe a LOT--she just need him to wait 10 more years :)

Anonymous said...

You are so funny. Congrats on keeping up with the sports. That's awesome. Way to go!! You made me smile, what a good blogger you are!!